10 more lives lost amid surging cases of COVID-19

KABUL (SW) – Amid third wave of the coronavirus pandemic, the health ministry on Wednesday confirmed ten more deaths to the COVID-19.

According to the Ministry of Public Health, up to 1993 tests were conducted across the country in past 24 hours. It said 365 of these proved positive with which the total number of coronavirus cases in Afghanistan so far surged to 61,162.

The latest figures, recorded in nine provinces, are the highest in recent months. During the same period, 52 people infected with the virus recovered.

According to the Ministry of Public Health, since the outbreak of the corona virus in the country, 412,797 people have been tested for the virus, of which 2664 have lost their lives to the virus. In the same period, 53,750 people have recovered.

A day earlier, the the Ministry of Public Health warned of dire consequences for public in case of continued defiance towards safety and hygiene during the ongoing third wave of the coronavirus pandemic.

Mirwais Alizai, deputy spokesman for the Ministry of Public Health, said on Tuesday many citizens did not take the ministry’s recommendations seriously. He said it was feared that their recklessness during Eid visits to friends and relatives would worsen the situation.


The health ministry spokesman urged citizens to refrain from visiting each other during the Eid holidays to prevent further spread of the virus.

As per the MoPH officials, situation could particularly worsen in major urban centers with a large and concentrated population points if people did not wore mask or kept distance.

ENDS

Share: