KHOST CITY (SW) – At least 30 candidates of the Wolesi Jirga (lower house) in Khost staged a protest demonstration on Saturday against the announcement of the initial results.
Protesters said the Independnet Election Commission did not properly count votes of 182 polling stations, and that these votes should be correctly counted. They warned if all votes are not recounted in the next 24 hours, the Kabul-Khost highway as well as the provincial administration office in Khost would be closed.
However, Shah Jahan Sardari, head of the provincial office of the IEC, said the announced results were not final, and that every electoral candidate can lodge complaints about the initial results.
Earlier, Abdullah Ansari, head of the provincial office of the Independent Election Complaint Commission in Khost, had said the IEC should not unanimously announce the primary results without coordinating with the IECC. He said the IEC announced the preliminary results of the WJ polls in Khost without coordination with the IECC last week.
According to the initial results, Kamal Nasser Ossali, Helmand Helmand, Mohammad Mosa Khavarin, Ghaffar Khan and Sahera Sharif won the WJ seats from Khost.