Taliban face ANSF’s wrath in Baghlan & Helmand

12/02/2016

PUL-I-KHUMRI/ LASHKARGAH (SW): The Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF) conducted extensive operations in the restive Baghlan and Helmand provinces leaving up to 190 militants dead.

Mohammad Mobin, Commander of the ANSF in Baghlan province’s Dand-e-Ghori, has said that during 18-days’ fighting, up to 150 militants have been killed and 120 more have been injured. Speaking at a press conference on Saturday, the commander said that three major Taliban commanders are among those killed.

It is said that Pakistanis and Chechens were among those killed in the fighting.

The “Operation Khurshid 20” was launched when the Taliban blew-up an electricity transmission towers near Dand-e-Shahbuddin. Since then, power supply from Turkmenistan to Kabul has been suffering.

Mohammad Mobin however, said that the military operation has also been launched in the Dand-e-Shahabuddin area on Saturday and the power supply would be resumed. He added that the operation in Dand-e-Ghori would continue till the area is fully cleared of the militants.

He did not comment on the casualties inflicted on security forces but emphasized that less than 10 security personnel have been either killed or injured during the operation.

 

40 militants killed in Helmand

Meanwhile, Abdul Rahman Sarjang, Police Chief in southern Helmand province, told Salam Watandar that last night during aerial and land operation carried out by the ANSF, nearly 40 Taliban fighters were killed and many more were injured. He added that the militants were planning to wage a large-scale attack on Sangin district.

Taliban on the other hand have denied the news. Qari Yousuf, a Taliban spokesman has said in a message that they have attacked several police checkpoints and have killed many police personnel.

On Thursday, Brig. Gen. Wilson Shoffner, a spokesman for U.S. forces in Afghanistan, told reporters at the Pentagon via videoconference from Kabul that the U.S. military is increasing its footprint in Helmand province.

"We are increasing our advising effort in Helmand province," Shoffner said. "We are also … positioning soldiers to provide force protection." The repositioning of U.S. forces in Helmand will not affect the overall number of U.S. troops on the ground in Afghanistan, which remains at about 9,800.

ENDS

Share this:

به اشتراک گذاری بر روی facebook
به اشتراک گذاری بر روی twitter
به اشتراک گذاری بر روی telegram
به اشتراک گذاری بر روی whatsapp
به اشتراک گذاری بر روی email
به اشتراک گذاری بر روی print

This article is retrieved from SWN Archive

Follow SWN on Social Networks

Telegram

Twitter

Facebook