KABUL (SW) – Parallel to the ongoing efforts for peace, violence has surged across the country causing casualties among the security forces and the Taliban.
Earlier this week, the Taliban staged deadly attacks in Zabul, Baghlan and Kapisa provinces killing scores of security forces.
In response to these attacks, the security forces on Sunday claimed killing dozens of Taliban insurgents in Kunduz, Uruzgan, and Kandahar and Helmand provinces.
Fawad Aman, deputy spokesman for the defense ministry, said the security forces conducted these operations in ‘active defense’. He added a number of Taliban commanders are among those killed in these attacks.
Meanwhile, security analyst, Gen. Atiqullah Amarkhail has criticized the government’s ‘active defense’ strategy. He said the Taliban have proved they are not willing to accept peace.
However, Akbar Aagha, a former Taliban-era official, blamed foreigners for the resurging violence in the country.
It has been almost a month since the U.S and Taliban inked the landmark peace deal, but the proposed intra-Afghan peace talks are yet to commence.