TALUQAN (SW) - Thousands of families have been displaced in the past four days in the wake of Taliban attacks on the districts of Chah Ab, Yangli Qala, Khawaja Ghar, Bahark and Taluqan in Takhar province.
Mohammed Azam Afzali, secretary of the Takhar Provincial Council, told Salam Watandar the residents of several districts have lost their livelihoods following the recent surge in clashes.
According to him, the displaced are currently seeking refuge in the safe areas of Taluqan city, but have not been properly assisted so far.
According to him, there is no precise information on the situation of the war and IDPs amid disruption in communications.
Jawad Hijri, spokesman for the Takhar governor, said 4,000 families have fled to Taluqan as the numbers of displaced families continue to surge. According to him, the displaced people from the Chah Ab and Yengi Qala districts have taken refuge in the safe areas of Rustaq district and have not been properly assisted either.
Farid Ahmad Nikpour, head of the Takhar disaster management department, said they have set up a camp about 20 kilometers away from Taluqan city to assist the displaced persons.
Since Monday, a number of Taliban attacks around the city of Taluqan and surrounding districts have been repulsed. A number of officials from the Ministry of Defense, Ministry of Interior and the National Directorate of Security have left for Takhar province and are planning to launch full-scale operations soon to suppress the Taliban and recapture lost areas.